A virgin until my 20s, I was an evangelical Christian saving myself for marriage. Boinking at 22 while still single, I didn’t know where to go or who to ask for info about basic sexual health. Maybe Cosmo? I wondered: Really, who the hell else waits this long to get laid? I thought my Christian church would judge me, and non-believer friends would laugh. Although spirituality is still very much a part of my life, my hymen isn’t. Having written about relationships for nearly a decade, I’ve learned everyone continues to have questions about sex throughout adulthood. How do I date after a divorce? Is it normal for men to loose their sex drive as they grow older? I’ve only been married 2 years, is it bad if I’m already no longer attracted to my lover? Adults need open, safe spaces to discuss their sex lives without fearing judgement. It’s one of the reasons I created FUNKY BROWN CHICKÂ®.
I’ve written many open letters to so many of you. As a new addition to the mix, because I love you, I’ll write a Friday “Love Letter” of sorts to keep you in the loop of sexy things you should know, see, read, and do …
SEX & RELATIONSHIPS
- My loves, December 1 is World Aids Day. Remember virgins can be HIV positive. Did you know 20% of youth who’ve had HIV since birth weren’t aware they were HIV+ when they started having sex — sometimes without condoms? Source:Â National Institutes of Health. Stay safe. Use condoms.
- How to Survive a Plague is one of the most compelling documentaries I’ve seen in years. Watch it. Also, if you’re free at 8 p.m. on Monday, 12/3, hangout with that hottie hero Peter Staley, singer-song writer Angelique Kidjo, and others.
- Fact: Adding testosterone to that legendary “little blue pill” won’t necessarily help your penis perform better. Neither will penis enlargers. I’m sorry.
ARTS & CULTURE
- Eat bacon-wrapped turkey. Right Now. Thanksgiving is long gone, but I still want it. Here’s a recipe. Bacon is the gift of love; cook it for someone you care about.
- Mingle with hot Jewish folks at the 8:15 pm “Six Words on Jewish Life – A Live Storytelling Show” on Thursday, Dec 6, 2012 at 92Y (Lexington Avenue at 92nd St), New York, NY. Cost: $29.00
- Reuters is reporting “Soccer no excuse for outdoor sex, Italy court rules.” Be careful out there.
- Be in the know about how rapper-turned-footballer Clint Dempsey might replace Landon Donovan as “The Next Face of U.S. Men’s International Soccer.” Hmmm, I wonder if this is Dempsey’s sex face? I’d love to see each of yours. See also: Do You Give Good Sexyface?